Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Brown Hare II and notes on painting

Brown Hare II  Oil on panel, 6" x 6,"  NFS
A rambling note on painting:  Recently I switched paint brands from Winsor & Newton to Cobra. I knew early on that noodling and doing the blendy thing was gonna be a problem.  I continue to struggle with it.  It's funny how many habits get built into one's painting routine. I want to grab for my beloved Winsor & Newton Artisan brushes.  I still do.  But they are simply too stiff for the new paint. I found a softer brush I like better, but I tend to use it like the artisan brushes. (Too heavy handed!)  In my opinion, a superior painting contains unsullied, un-messed with brushwork. Being able to brush the color on and leave it is ideal. Layers are good, having the paint mix LIVE while applying new paint, awesome.  Going back in with a paint free brush and blending, not so awesome.  I haven't been able to do it yet, but I WILL keep trying, (insert dramatic gesture here.)

12 comments:

  1. I'm just wondering... was there a reason you switched?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept hearing Cobra paints better, more like butter. They are.

      Delete
  2. I was going to ask the same question as the person above!! ha! Altho I'm not able to tell the difference between the two...on the internet you don't see all those kinds of details. I'm sure in person there must be a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I started, I wanted affordable paint that could be acquired locally. When I got a feel for them, (after a few years) I decided to upgrade... I read a bunch of reviews that raved about Cobra... and I like them very much. Despite whatever kvetching I may do here, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting. It must be great paint to go though such a retraining....as you say you are bucking long established habits and so much in the applying of art is instinct. That makes it extra hard when we move from the usual way of doing something. But your determination is also part of being an artist, I'm sure you will get the hang of it. Meanwhile, I love the bunny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I much prefer not "thinking" about every move. Anyway, it's all good. Thank you so much for commenting, Anne.

      Delete
  5. Diane, it's interesting to hear your thoughts on the Cobra brand paints, too. A little over a year ago, I had bought myself the basic colors (~ 6 tubes+white) so I'd have them for air-travel. I thought it would make life easier when I got to my location & could use water as my solvent for clean-up. And I DID practice with them way before I used them on the trip I was taking them on. But I did find them quite different to use- they were thinner, but became somewhat sticky if I mixed in a bit of water with them. It took a while to become 'comfortable' with them....and I'm not 'in love with them', but I'll use them up until they're gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roxanne! Thanks for sharing your experience with them. A little suggestion: Don't ever use water with them when you paint. Cobra sells medium for this. Somehow, the water destroys the integrity of the paint, resulting in the stickiness. Happy travels and painting to you!

      Delete
  6. Great info regarding the cobra paints! It must be very hard to get accustomed to a new consistency of paint which blends differently. Your results are GREAT! Lovely painting of this adorable Hare!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Diane Hoeptner Art Blog: Oh yay! A comment from YOU!!